Keeping the cost of data down while travelling overseas can be tricky, so we have put together our top 5 tricks for using data roaming wisely.
In general when you travel voice is easy to control since you have the option of not answering the phone but data?
1. Data tracking applicationMake use of a data tracking app. Install an app like Data Usage;
Take back control of your data usage. It’s time to stop paying overages.
• Monitor Mobile Data and Wi-Fi in real time.
• Today Widget
• Predictive forecast tells when you will go over and sets daily quotas.
• Simple and intuitive design reflects current usage status.
• Works with any carrier, any plan, and any billing cycle.
• Set usage alerts.
Download the Data Usage for Android or Data Usage for iOS app for your mobile device.
2. Global Wi-Fi passPurchase a Wi-Fi network pass that gives you access to millions of Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide. Skyroam offer 30-day passes that give you access to over 57 million hotspots in 120 countries. It automatically connects for the majority of devices and has no excess usage charges.
3. Avoid apps with ads Don’t use apps with ads, as they will eat through your data. Many apps are offered for free so that they can bombard you with advertising and this additional content equals additional download. It’s worth doing a little survey of your apps before travelling and remembering to avoid those with ads. you can always turn off data in the apps that you don't need and push notifications
4. Turn off updatesSmart phones are continually connecting to the internet, this guarantees your social media channels are always displaying the latest content. However, this also chews through your data. To reduce this, ensure you turn off your updates and then download when you have access to Wi-Fi.
5. MappingOne of the highest uses of data when travelling is for maps. Getting lost in a foreign city is not fun however you don’t need to be data roaming to use a mapping app. We recommend you to use google maps and not Waze for your travel, since Waze keeps pushing for traffic and adds and consumes data
The best thing to do is to open google maps in WiFi so you can download the map and updates
UniSimCard is the only SIM you will ever need for great savings on data, voice & SMS
Guest post policy
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies